20 May 2012

collecting textures

Another grey day and lots of layers are needed to keep out the relentless wind.  But at least it's dry. 


The space I set up yesterday on the second floor of the lighthouse (in front of the big window in the middle) has been really useful as a place to spread things out and do some experiments in wet media.  The room is painted black, as is the room below.  I'm not sure what the significance of the darkness is.  It has a large window which gives enough light to work by.



I decided on Friday's drive over here that this trip must be about collecting textures.  So that is what I've tried to concentrate on.  I've drawn a lot, using pens and charcoal when I'm outside and started to play with making marks from some rusty metal found on the beach.  I tried working on a larger scale yesterday but nothing seemed to work so I've gone back to working on small sketchbook pages, removed carefully from the book to work on so that I can put them back together once things have dried.



6 comments:

  1. How lovely to have this space to work in, I was on the NE coast yesterday and I know how chilly it is at the moment! Looking forward to seeing what you produce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really cold! And the wind is relentless, but I feel good for being windswept!

      Delete
  2. This looks like an enchanted place. And the work looks so promising.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lotta, it feels like another world. So many possibilities!

      Delete
  3. Ive been to a couple of exhibitions in the lighthouse, it makes a very interesting venue. Your work looks great.....will ask a pal if she has a newspaper, I dont buy them myself. If she hasnt someone at work may have one I can get hold of next week. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. It all looks fascinating - lucky you.

    ReplyDelete