26 July 2012

spurn cloth #2



I started constructing Spurn Cloth #2 today.  Again, this was a case of laying things out along the floor of the studio and playing about with things until they looked right.



It was good finally to be able to see how all the textures and patterns I've been collecting on these pieces of linen will work together and how they relate to cloth #1.


Joining all these strips together is a quicker process as I'm using the machine for this one.  This cloth will hang in a very tall space in the lighthouse where the light levels are relatively low, therefore the detail isn't as important on this one.  I've concentrated on creating a cloth with bands of texture that will give an overall effect rather than be viewed up close.  There will be time to add more detail before it is shown elsewhere (with better lighting!) after the show at Spurn if needed.


 It's been a quieter day at the Mill today with fewer visitors.  The weather is still damp and grey, but there was an hour or two of sunshine this afternoon to throw some good light into my studio.  I'm also preparing for my talk here tomorrow afternoon, picking out the key images to tell the story of my project.

3 comments:

  1. What a fabulous piece of art, each section a work of art in it's own right. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. will you be adding any surface stitch? i would love to get my needle into this :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not adding more to this at the moment as it will be shown in quite a dark space in the lighthouse. This means any more detail will probably be lost in the gloom. I may add more after the lighthouse exhibition though...

    ReplyDelete